Dancing With the Stars professional dancer Louis van Amstel, who is currently partnered with celebrity chef Paula Deen on Season 21 of the ABC competition, stepped out of the ballroom to share 25 interesting facts about himself with Us Weekly. See what the hoofer, 43, revealed about his DWTS history and more!
1. I started dancing jazz and tap at the age of 10. Later that year, I learned ballroom dancing.
2. I was born and raised in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
3. I became a U.S. citizen in 2007.
4. I was the first professional dancer called to be on Dancing With the Stars in 2005.
5. I’m the only original pro left from Season 1 on Season 21.
6. When I was diagnosed with ADD, my doctor advised my mom to sign me up for as many sports as possible to calm me down. It took swimming, dancing, tennis, and skiing to do it. Thank you, doctor, for never prescribing me medication!
7. Snow skiing is my first love.
8. Before Dancing With the Stars, I coached professional dancers Maksim and Val Chmerkovskiy, Tony Dovolani, Karina Smirnoff, and Anna Trebunskaya. I also coached former Dancing pros Cheryl Burke, Edyta Sliwinska, Alec Mazo, Jonathan Roberts, Elena Grinenko, and Ashly Delgrosso. I even taught troupe dancers Jenna Johnson and Brittany Cherry!
9. Karina Smirnoff and I once competed together and were national champions in the U.S. in 2000.
10. My favorite holiday is Christmas.
11. Skin care is my everything! I live on AlureVe facial skin care products.
12. I started my dance fitness program, LaBlast, with my DWTS Season 2 partner, Lisa Rinna, in 2007.
13. I became confident enough in LaBlast to turn it into a worldwide brand after I reached the finals with Kelly Osbourne in Season 9.
14. I truly believe anyone can dance.
15. I always wanted to be an Air Force pilot.
16. I don't believe in dieting. Conscious eating and activity are the best ways to a healthy lifestyle. Of course, the more you dance, the better it is!
17. I fly more than 250,000 miles a year.
18. I produced my own Broadway show in 2002 called Latin Fusion.
19. Between the ages of 8 and 10, I was bullied for being fat. Thank goodness for dance!
20. On Dancing With the Stars, I prefer to be partnered with celebrities that have little to no dance experience. I did love the all-star season with Sabrina Bryan though!
21. When I moved to the United States, I lived in New York City for seven years. Hell's Kitchen is the bomb!
22. I bought my first home in 2004 in Orem, Utah. Love, love, love Utah!
23. I’ve coached dance at Center Stage Performing Arts Studio in Orem since 2001. Most of the dancers on Dancing With the Stars that are from Utah came from this dance studio.
24. I am such an emotional eater!
25. I got Julianne and Derek Hough involved with DWTS. I am so happy for both them and what they have achieved!
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!