To compile the annual list, Forbes examined the Oscar-nominated actor's three most recent major films before June 2016, including 2016's Alice Through the Looking Glass. The analysts "deducted the estimated production budget from the global box office for each film according to Box Office Mojo to come up with a limited definition of each movie's operating income." Forbes then divided the operating income by Depp's estimated pay for the three films to find "a final return on investment number."
In layman's terms, Depp, 53, returned approximately $2.80 at the box office for each dollar he was paid.
According to Box Office Mojo, Alice Through the Looking Glass grossed a disappointing $77 million domestically and $300 million worldwide. Its production budget was $170 million. The film was released in late May as Depp in the midst of a bitter divorce with ex-wife Amber Heard. (The former couple reached a $7 million settlement in August.)
The actor's next film, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, which is slated for a May 2017 release, is expected to be a success as the franchise has already grossed $3.7 billion with its first four films, per Forbes.
Will Smith came in second on Forbes' list with $5 for every dollar he was paid. The magazine noted that his 2015 film Concussion "barely met its $34 million production costs." Channing Tatum, meanwhile, placed third with $6 for each dollar he was paid.
Check out the full top 10 list below.
1. Johnny Depp — $2.80 for each $1 paid
2. Will Smith — $5.00 for each $1 paid
3. Channing Tatum — $6.00 for each $1 paid
4. Will Ferrell — $6.50 for each $1 paid
5. George Clooney — $6.70 for each $1 paid
6. Adam Sandler — $7.60 for each $1 paid
7. Mark Wahlberg — $9.20 for each $1 paid
8. Leonardo DiCaprio — $9.90 for each $1 paid
9. Julia Roberts — $10.80 for each $1 paid
10. Bradley Cooper — $12.10 for each $1 paid
Want stories like these delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter!