Lane Graves, the 2-year-old boy who was attacked by an alligator at a Disney World resort in Florida on Tuesday, June 14, died from “drowning and traumatic injuries,” an autopsy report revealed on Thursday, June 16.
As previously reported, Graves died after an alligator dragged him into the Seven Seas Lagoon around 9:16 p.m. on Tuesday. The little boy’s family — who lives in Nebraska — was vacationing at the resort.
Orange County sheriff Jerry Demings told reporters during a press conference on Wednesday that the family was simply hanging out on the sand at the lagoon near the water’s edge when the alligator attacked. Lane’s body was found 16 hours later by authorities not far from where he was snatched.
On Thursday, June 16, Lane’s parents, Matt and Melissa Graves, issued a statement.
“Words cannot describe the shock and grief our family is experiencing over the loss of our son. We are devastated and ask for privacy during this extremely difficult time. To all of the local authorities and staff who worked tirelessly these past 24 hours, we express our deepest gratitude,” they said, according to ABC News.
Both parents attempted to rescue their son from the alligator, but he was ultimately pulled underwater by the reptile.
“As a parent and a grandparent, my heart goes out to the Graves family during this time of devastating loss,” Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger said in a statement on Wednesday. “My thoughts and prayers are with them, and I know everyone at Disney joins me in offering our deepest sympathies.”
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!