Sutton Foster stopped by the Us Weekly studio in New York City and exclusively revealed 25 things you might not know about her — including her feelings about a certain reptile, her side job when she’s not acting and her hidden talent. Read on to learn about the 44-year-old Broadway star and Younger actress.
1. I’m afraid of snakes.
2. I saw Titanic three nights in a row when it first came out [in 1997]. By myself. I sobbed uncontrollably every time.
3. I wasn’t cast in my middle school production of Oliver! I might still be bitter about it.
4. I’m allergic to cats.
5. I have two honorary doctorates — one from Ball State University [in Indiana] and the other from Boston Conservatory.
6. I’ve been to every U.S. state except two — North Dakota and Alaska. I’ve got to do all 50.
7. I can touch my tongue to my nose. It’s not very classy.
8. I was fired from one of my first professional jobs. I was cast in the national tour of Grease on the road. It’s a weird story because I ended up being rehired for another position.
9. I love Christmas. I get excited when Thanksgiving comes, because then I can start listening to Christmas music.
10. I won’t eat eggplant. It has weird skin, and it’s always mushy.
11. I auditioned for The Mickey Mouse Club when I was 15. I was a finalist the same year as JC Chasez. I have a picture of [us] together, and I have really bad permed hair.
12. One of my guilty pleasures is Lactaid milk and chocolate chip cookies.
13. I knew I was going to marry my husband [Ted Griffin] when he bought me a pair of sweatpants. I still wear them and will probably keep wearing them until they turn to dust.
14. I binge-watched every episode of The Great British Bake Off. It was so inspiring and creative.
15. If I’m nervous about doing something, I’ll say [to myself], “I’m 44 years old. I’ve worked my entire life to get to this place. I can allow it to be good.” That sometimes calms me down.
16. When I was a kid, I used to collect pencils. I have hundreds of them. The pencils are on display in a glass terrarium [in my L.A. house].
17. I love to draw, paint and crochet.
19. I don’t sing at home, unless I’m singing to [my 2-year-old daughter] Emily.
20. I’m a big fan of coupons.
21. I dropped out of college and worked at the Macaroni Grill. I’m a terrible waitress, by the way.
22. I’m not a fan of parties. I’d much rather sit on the couch, watch TV and order in.
23. I’m an adjunct faculty member at Ball State University. I teach a course via Skype and YouTube every semester for the musical theater seniors.
24. I’d love to work with Patti LuPone someday.
25. If I weren’t an actress, I’d have an Etsy store. I’d love to sell handmade crocheted items and drawings.
Younger airs on TV Land, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on Youtube!